- President of the European Council for Fatwa and Research (ECFR)
- Con to the question "Should Euthanasia or Physician-Assisted Suicide Be Legal?"
“Euthanasia or Mercy Killing is the act or practice of ending the life of an individual suffering from a terminal illness or an incurable condition, through lethal injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment.
This act is Islamically forbidden for it encompasses a positive role on the part of the physician to end the life of the patient and hasten his death via lethal injection, electric shock, a sharp weapon or any other way. This is an act of killing, and, killing is a major sin and thus forbidden in Islam, the religion of pure mercy.”
“Living Shari’ah: Fatwah Bank,” IslamOnline.net, Mar. 22, 2005
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, JDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to end-of-life issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to end-of-life.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Founder and part owner, www.IslamOnline.net
- Chairman, Islamic American University, a subsidiary of the Muslim American Society
- Chairman, Islamic Scientific Councils of Algerian Universities and Institutions
- President, European Council for Fatwa and Research (ECFR)
- President, International Association of Muslim Scholars (IAMS)
- Worked in the Egyptian Ministry of Religious Endowments
- Former Dean, Islamic Department, Faculties of Shariah and Education, Qatar
- PhD, Islamic Theology, Al-Azhar University, 1973
- MA, Department of the Sciences of Qur’an and Hadith, Faculty of Theology, 1960
- BA, Islamic Theology, Al-Azhar University, 1953
- Has written extensively on Islam and is a sheikh and an Egyptian Muslim scholar
- Was imprisoned for political activities after having joined the Islamist movement of Hassan al-Banna, known as the Muslim Brotherhood, 1949
- Born in a small village in the Nile Delta, Saft Turab, Egypt, 1926