- Con to the question "Should Euthanasia or Physician-Assisted Suicide Be Legal?"
“Taking one’s life is regarded as halachically and morally improper. While we cannot personally condemn those who in the midst of unbearable pain and suffering take their own lives, we cannot encourage, condone, or participate in the commission of such an act.”
“Physician-Assisted Suicide: A Halachic Approach,” Jewish Virtual Library website (accessed Nov. 24, 2006)
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, JDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to end-of-life issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to end-of-life.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Rabbi, Woodside Synagogue, Maryland
- Professor of Law, University of Maryland
- Advisor, Ethics Committee, Hebrew Home
- Educational Consultant, Atlantic Seaboard Region, National Council of Synagogue Youth
- Lectures regularly at the Board of Jewish Education,the Jewish Community Center, and the United Jewish Appeal Federation
- JD, magna cum laude, Harvard Law School
- Semicha, Ner Israel Rabbinical College
- BA, Johns Hopkins University
- None Found