- Pro to the question "Should Euthanasia or Physician-Assisted Suicide Be Legal?"
“The World Federation of Right to Die Societies (an international non-governmental organization) is aware of the increasing concern to many individuals over their right to die with dignity. Believing in the rights and freedom of all persons, we affirm this right to die with dignity, meaning in peace and without suffering.
All competent adults – regardless of their nationalities, professions, religious beliefs, and ethical and political views – who are suffering unbearably from incurable illnesses should have the possibility of various choices at the end of their life. Death is unavoidable. We strongly believe that the manner and time of dying should be left to the decision of the individual, assuming such demands do not result in harm to society other than the sadness associated with death.
The voluntarily expressed will of individuals, once they are fully informed of their diagnosis, prognosis and available means of relief, should be respected by all concerned as an expression of intrinsic human rights.”
“Tokyo/Toronto Manifesto,” www.worldrtd.net, 2006
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
“The World Federation, founded in 1980, consists of 38 right to die organizations from 23 countries. The Federation provides an international link for organizations working to secure or protect the rights of individuals to self-determination at the end of their lives.”
Homepage, www.worldrtd.net (accessed Jan. 24, 2012)
- Disseminates current information and educational materials about voluntary euthanasia, physician-assisted dying, other right-to-die issues, and related matters of interest;
- Promotes co-operation and liaison among our member societies;
- Facilitates international conferences on dying and death;
- Provides assistance, where requested, to groups and individuals interested in establishing similar societies in countries where such societies do not currently exist; and
- Responds to requests by interested groups, scholars, and individuals for information about right-to-die issues.”
“Our Mission,” www.worldrtd.net/our-mission (accessed Jan. 24, 2012)
- None found