- Senior Fellow in Human Rights and Bioethics at the Discovery Institute
- Con to the question "Should Euthanasia or Physician-Assisted Suicide Be Legal?"
“Oregon has become the model for how assisted suicide is supposed to work. But for those who dig beneath the sloganeering and feel-good propaganda, it becomes clear that legalising assisted suicide leads to abandonment, bad medical practice and a disregard for the importance of patients’ lives.”
“‘Right to Die’ Can Become a ‘Duty to Die’,” Daily Telegraph, Feb. 21, 2009
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, JDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to end-of-life issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to end-of-life.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Senior Fellow, Human Rights and Bioethics, Discovery Institute
- Anti-euthanasia activist, 1993-present
- Has appeared on more than 1,000 television or radio talk/interview programs, including national programs such as ABC Nightline, Good Morning America, Larry King Live, CNN Crossfire, CNN World Report, Coast to Coast, Tony Snow Show, CBS Evening News, CSPAN-Book TV, FOX News, and CNN Talk Back Live. He has also appeared internationally on Voice of America, CNN International, BBC World Service and on programs originating in Great Britain (National and Regional BBC), Australia (ABC), New Zealand, Germany, China, and Canada (CBC)
- Commentaries on euthanasia published in New York Times, Newsweek, the National Review, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Washington Legal Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Detroit Daily News, and San Diego Union Tribune
- Attorney and Consultant, International Anti-Euthanasia Task Force
- Special Consultant, Center for Bioethics and Culture
- Volunteer, Hospice
- Named by the National Journal as one of the nation’s top expert thinkers in bioengineering
- JD, school unknown
- None found
- Quoted in:
- Is Euthanasia Acceptable for Severely Ill Infants?
- Should Euthanasia or Physician-Assisted Suicide Be Legal?
- Should the Government Have Been Involved in Terri Schiavo's End-of-Life Decisions?
- Are Living Wills a Good Idea?
- Would Improving Palliative Care Decrease Patient Requests for Physician-Assisted Suicide?
- Would Legalizing Physician-Assisted Suicide or Voluntary Euthanasia Create a Slippery Slope to Non-Voluntary or Involuntary Euthanasia?
- Did Dr. Jack Kevorkian Ethically Serve the Best Interests of His Patients?
- Should Healthcare Resources Be Subject to Rationing?
- Should Terri Schiavo's Feeding Tube Have Been Removed?