- PhD Candidate at the University of Leicester
- Pro to the question "Should Euthanasia or Physician-Assisted Suicide Be Legal?"
“The UK should use the European experience and legal rules as an example. The terminal illness criterion is limiting and excludes people suffering from non-terminal illnesses, including locked-in-syndrome, multiple sclerosis and people with serious mental health problems. This prolongs their suffering and denies them rights that terminally ill people are offered. The European model, although not without problems, is a more compassionate answer to the dying wishes of unfortunate and suffering people. It places them at the centre of the procedure, and makes their own experience of suffering a priority by not focusing on the characteristics of the terminal condition or disease.
It’s time for the UK to legalise some form of assisted dying. The experience and legal rules in the Benelux [Beligum, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg] countries should form the basis for the discussion on reform. It is time to give people who are suffering – and not just those who are terminally ill – the fundamental human right to control life and how to end it.”
“Assisted-Dying Laws Are Progressing in Some Places – the UK Isn’t One of Them,” independent.co.uk, Apr. 15, 2017
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, JDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to end-of-life issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to end-of-life.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Editor, Legal Issues Journal, 2014-present
- Member, Socio-Legal Studies Association
- Member, Centre for European Law and Internalisation, School of Law, University of Leicester
- Member, British Institute of Human Rights, Queen Mary University of London
- University tutor, University of Leicester, 2015-2016
- Postgraduate Research Students’ Representative, Leicester Law School, Sep. 2014-Sep. 2015
- President/Executive Officer, European Law Students’ Association, Leicester, June. 2014-July 2015
- PhD candidate, Medical Law and Human Rights, University of Leicester
- LLM, Queen Mary University of London, 2013
- LLB, University of London, 2013
- Twitter: @NPapadopoulou_