- Retired Professor of Ecology and Evolution at the University of Chicago
- Pro to the question "Should Euthanasia or Physician-Assisted Suicide Be Legal?"
“It is a crime that only five out of fifty states allow assisted suicide. They all should—with proper regulations and conditions—and then the states need to consider active euthanasia (i.e, an injection) for those patients who aren’t able to take the ‘cocktail’ themselves. That is what’s done in the Netherlands and Belgium.”
“A California Doctor Ponders Assisted Suicide,” “Why Evolution Is True” wordpress site, Aug. 6, 2017
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, JDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to end-of-life issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to end-of-life.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Professor of Ecology and Evolution, University of Chicago, 1996-Sep. 2015
- Former member, Committee on Genetics, University of Chicago
- Former member, Committee on Evolutionary Biology, University of Chicago
- Former Assistant Professor, Department of Zoology, University of Maryland
- Former Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California at Davis
- PhD, Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University, 1978
- BS, Biology, College of William and Mary
- Twitter handle: @Evolutionistrue
- Quoted in: