- Medical Director of Hospice at Sacred Heart Medical Center, Eugene, Oregon
- Con to the question "Should Euthanasia or Physician-Assisted Suicide Be Legal?"
“Hospice commits to the patient and the family that we will take care of them, to nonabandonment… But if euthanasia becomes a standard of practice, too many times there would be a real incentive to do it. There are some patients whose proper care requires time and effort, professional services that aren’t necessarily paid for by insurance companies. I might say, ‘There has to be an easier way.’ I could too easily find myself seeing euthanasia as the simple answer; one that is less time consuming and the least expensive. If accepted, euthanasia could very easily take the place of proper patient care.”
Interview with Wesley Smith, Forced Exit, 1997
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, JDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to end-of-life issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to end-of-life.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Medical Director of Hospice, Sacred Heart Medical Center, Eugene, Oregon
- Chairman, Bioethics Committee, Sacred Heart Medical Center, Eugene, Oregon
- Board Certified in internal medicine and medical oncology
- None found
- None found
- Quoted in: