- Associate Professor and Care and Prevention Program Leader at the Institute for Health and Care Research (EMGO) at the Free University Medical Centre in Amsterdam
- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Should Euthanasia or Physician-Assisted Suicide Be Legal?"
“We found that there were sometimes clinical problems with the performance of physician-assisted suicide and euthanasia. The problems reported by physicians frequently concerned a longer-than-expected interval between the administration of the lethal drug (or the first drug, if more than one was administered) and the patient’s death.”
Cowritten with Agnes van der Heide, Johanna Groenewoud, Dick L. Willems, Paul J. van der Maas, and Gerrit van der Wal, “Clinical Problems with the Performance of Euthanasia and Physician-Assisted Suicide in the Netherlands,” New England Journal of Medicine, Feb. 24, 2000
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, JDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to end-of-life issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to end-of-life.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Associate Professor and Care and Prevention Program Leader, Institute for Health and Care Research (EMGO), Free University Medical Centre, Amsterdam (Holland)
- Coordinator, Dutch Section, Monitoring Quality of End-of-life Care (MELC)
- Member, ELD 3/Minors Project Group, MELC
- Member, LEIF Project Group, MELC
- Member, SENTI-MELC Project Group
- Project Leader, Nationwide Monitoring of End-of-life Decision Making and Euthanasia Regulation Reports, 2001, 2005
- PhD, school unknown
- None found