- Former Assistant Professor of the Sikkim-Marnipal Institute of Medical Sciences
- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Should Euthanasia or Physician-Assisted Suicide Be Legal?"
“Modern arguments in favour of Euthanasia emphasize the principle of autonomy, the right of an individual to choose life or death for him or herself. However, this issue is no longer one of individual rights because doctor is not simply an instrument of the patient’s will. The doctor himself must also concur with the patient’s reasons for seeking Euthanasia before the person administers it. Doctors must also use their own professional judgment about what is clinically and ethically right in a given case. Where patients in terminal illness are in great pain it may be necessary to administer drugs and other medication to relieve pain. The doctor’s aim here, however, would be to kill the pain and not the patient. Buddhism is opposed to Euthanasia essentially because of its affirmative valuation of life. To value death above life is to deny that life is a basic good. From the perspective of Buddhist ethics, the ultimate aim of Buddhism is to overcome death. Any choice in favour of death is a rejection of this vision of human good.”
“Buddhist Bioethics on Euthanasia Practice,” mingkok.buddhistdoor.com, 2009
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, JDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to end-of-life issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to end-of-life.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Assistant Professor, Sikkim-Marnipal Institute of Medical Sciences, 2004-2008
- Member, Masaryk International Medical Students Association
- Fellow, Royal Institute of Public Health
- Member, John Snow Society
- Assistant Professor, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, 2003-2004
- MD, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, 2003
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery), Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, 1999
- None found